Friday 11 July 2008

Sturgis - gotta go and get the t-shirt

There is one more step to completing the transition from years of owning Japanese and British iron to North American and that is the requisite pilgrimage to Sturgis for Bike Week.

H-D and Sturgis are the peanut-butter-and-jelly of the motorcycling world in my mind. One is not complete without the other. Sure you’ll find lots of metric bikes there, but it’s really all about Harleys. And while not every Harley in the world gets to drive down Main Street at least once, those that don’t wish they had.

I have the bike now, and if I want to really earn the right to wear the HD-logo’d everything, Sturgis is a must-do. And so the younger bro and I are off to the 68th Annual Sturgis Rally. But it’s not without some trepidation. The idea of half a million bikers descending on a town of 3,000 people for a weekend does create a few flutters. Just the thought of the traffic jams alone is pretty daunting. But, like the Burning Man, it’s been on my to-do list forever and I know I’d always regret not taking the opportunity when I had it to go at least once.

So in two weeks or so we load up the trailer with his Road King and my Low Rider and head west. A couple of days on the road and then 5 days of riding in and around Sturgis and the Black Hills. Should be a blast!


1 comment:

  1. Sturgis is definitely a must do if you’re a biker is what I have come to find out. Sounds like a fun trip to take with your brother, you definitely won’t regret it!
    I recently started working for progressive motorcycle insurance and I have been finding out more about the whole motorcycle culture. It’s so cool. Since finding out more about motorcycle culture I have heard nothing but how amazing Sturgis is and I can’t wait to check it out. Progressive will be at Thunder Road at Sturgis giving away a free Exclusive Sucker Punch Sallys custom-designed T-shirt. To get the T-shirt all you have to do is visit http://motorcycle.progressive.com/, go to where it says Events and Rallies and print out the coupon. Bring the coupon to our booth at Thunder Road and get your free T-shirt, exclusively given away at Sturgis. We’ll also have some other free fun stuff to check out and while you’re there you can also enter to win a custom Suck Punch Sally’s bike. It’s an old school beauty.
    Come on over to the booth and say hello!
    Hope I didn’t over step my bounds by posting on your blog, and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to shoot me an e-mail!
    Hope to see you there. Ride Safe.
    Gia Anderson
    Brand Ambassador
    Gia.progressive@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but any comments with commercial links will be deleted. You have been warned.